Building Surveyor Services in Wellington


At BUILD Consultancy Services Ltd, we offer a range of services relating to residential and commercial properties, including:

  • Assessing leaky homes and weather-tightness issues
  • Moisture surveys to detect moisture in your home
  • Resolution of construction, compliance and consent issues with the Council
  • Pre-purchase home inspections for home buyers and home owners


We undertake Wellington building inspections consistent with the New Zealand Standard 4306:2005 Residential Inspections. You will be given an indication of the state of the building and any existing and potential issues, whether to do with maintenance, weathertightness, construction compliance, or any other matters.
What does your building inspection cover?
Your written report will be based on a full visual inspection of all accessible areas, including:
  • Construction of the building
  • Underfloor framing
  • Roof and foundations
  • Doors and windows
  • Wall cladding
  • Electricals and wiring
  • Plumbing
  • Heating systems
  • Visible insulation
  • Site orientation 
When should you get a building inspection?
If you are buying a new property, the best time to book your building inspection is once you have a signed Sale and Purchase Agreement which should include a building inspection clause. However, please note that if you are purchasing a property through a tender or auction process, it may be necessary to undertake an inspection prior to making an offer, to minimise the conditions of the offer.

If you are considering selling your property, you may want to have an inspection done prior to putting it on the market, so that you can resolve any issues that may impede the sale.

How you get one and what it will cost?
Contact us with your enquiry and we will provide you with a fixed price. This is dependent on the size, age and location of the property.

You will normally receive your written report within three days of the site inspection taking place. However, we can work within the time constraints of your Sale and Purchase Agreement.


Since the early 1990s, building work has required a Building Consent (previously called a building permit) from your local Council. On completion of the work undertaken as part of the Building Consent, a Code Compliance Certificate (CCC) should be obtained from the Council. 
In our experiencehomeowners have often believed that their building contractor or project manager would look after this paperwork. In many cases, it is only revealed years later that no CCC was obtained. We can help with the resolution of all your construction compliance and building consent issues in Wellington, including:
  • What building work requires a building consent and what work doesn’t
  • Assisting with obtaining a Code Compliance Certificate for an outstanding building consent
  • What to do when buying a property that has unconsented building work
  • What to do when buying a property that has a building consent but it hasn’t been signed off with the issuing of a Code Compliance Certificate
  • What to do when you receive a “Notice to Fix” from the council
  • What happens with building work undertaken prior to 1991
  • Dealing with issues that don’t comply with the building code
  • Gaining a Certificate of Acceptance (COA)
  • Filing for a Determination with the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment


A weathertightness issue can be anything from a minor plumbing leak that has been going on for years to a concern that you might have a leaky home.
We can help you with the following:

  • Water coming in when it rains but you can’t find the leak
  • A musty smell which you haven’t been able to find the cause of
  • Water stains and/or swelling on the ceiling, wall, floor or skirting board
  • Interpreting your report from the Weathertight Homes Resolution Service
  • Fixing your leaky home
  • Getting compensation to get leaks fixed
  • A house that has been fixed but still leaks
  • Ensuring the home you are considering buying doesn’t have any leaks
Our detailed report will give you clear options for resolution, including managing the repair process. This will all be explained to you in terms you can easily understand. Call us for a professional building inspection in Wellington today.

What equipment do we use?
  • Non-invasive capacitance moisture meter
  • Carrel & Carrel C901 resistance moisture meter
  • Small hand tools
  • Digital camera
  • Ladder


To enable us to provide a scientifically-based report, we can undertake invasive testing to confirm that leaks are occurring and that they are causing damage. This is done by taking a combination of moisture readings directly into the outside face of the framing, cutting holes in the cladding and taking timber samples for laboratory testing. Timber framing can be structurally damaged from leaks but the damage may only be seen under a microscope. During this process, we are also able to assess the failures and prescribe what needs to be done to fix the leaks.


We can assist in assessing whether your house meets the requirements of this legislation that provides assistance to homeowners with leaky homes.

We can interpret the reports provided through this process, act for you in the legal process and also assist in the design and management of the repair of your house. Further information on the Weathertight Homes Resolution Service process can be obtained from the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment.

Prompt, personal, and professional service.

We will inspect or assess your property and any relevant documentation to provide you with a detailed report that is informative and easy to understand.
Share by: